How to Apply – Step 2: Application Procedures for Registered Company

  1. How to Apply – Step 1: New Company Registration
  2. How to Apply – Step 2: Application Procedures for Registered Company
  3. Green Program


  1. Form DS-156E should be created for each applicant and must be updated every time. All documents should be accurate and current.
  2. For companies that submit applications for multiple employees per year, please only include financial statements or tax returns with one application per year. Ideally, the financial statements would be sent with the first applicant after the financial statements are finalized or tax returns are filed.
  3. Supporting documents are only one of the factors that the consular officer will consider in adjudicating the case. Consular officers look at each application individually and may look at specific intentions, family situation, and long-range plans and prospects within the country of residence. Each case is accorded every consideration under the law.
  4. Documents that are considered necessary for E Visa registration will be kept at the Embassy. Other documents will be returned to the applicant at the interview. If you do not wish for the application documents to be returned to the applicant, please include a stamped and addressed return envelope when submitting the application documents.
  5. The consular officer may request additional information to establish that the trading enterprise or investment enterprise meets the requirements for E visa classification. It is not possible to specify the exact documentation required in every case.
  6. For more information about visas for treaty traders and treaty investors, please visit the Department of State’s website.
  7. E Visa registered companies do not need to send application documents in advance. Applicants from registered companies should bring application documents to the interview. For instructions on how to make an appointment, please refer to “How to Apply –Step 2: Application Procedures for Registered Company”.

If your company is already registered, click here to apply at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo or the U.S. Consulate in Osaka or Naha.  Click here to apply at the U.S. Consulate in Fukuoka or Sapporo.

For a list of required documents, please see here.

Important:  Do not present false documents. Fraud or misrepresentation can result in permanent visa ineligibility. If confidentiality of the document is a concern for the company, documents can be submitted to the Embassy or Consulate in a sealed envelope. The Embassy or Consulate will not make the information available to anyone and will respect the confidentiality of the information. English translations must be attached to all documents submitted in a foreign language.

The spouse and unmarried children (under 21 years of age) of treaty traders, treaty investors, or employees of enterprises may receive dependent E visas in order to accompany or follow to join their spouse or parent. They are not required to have the same nationality as the principal applicant to obtain an E visa.

E visas permit the investor/trader and his or her family to live in the United States during the period of stay authorized by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). E visas are nonimmigrant visas; consequently, visa holders are allowed to live in the United States only so long as the conditions under which the visa was granted remain valid. Dependents are not authorized to work in the U.S. unless they receive explicit authorization to do so from DHS-USCIS in the United States. Dependents of treaty traders/investors may apply for work authorization after their arrival in the United States.

Children’s Applications:

Parents may apply on behalf of their children who are 13-years-old and under, but they must submit their children’s applications at the time of the parent’s visa interview. Furthermore, the child visa applicants must be physically present in Japan. Please note that their children’s information should be added as “Dependent” on the parent’s profile when scheduling an appointment.

If one or both of the parents have already obtained their visas, they may send their children’s applications by mail. Please follow the instructions at Visas for Children and the Elderly.