Required Documents Checklist – Sapporo/Fukuoka

For Sapporo and Fukuoka, Japan Post sends you a pre-addressed (To Visa Service) envelope to submit your documentation. You should receive the envelope in a few days and must send your documents one week before your visa interview date. Write your appointment date and time on the back of the envelope.

For Tokyo/Osaka/Naha procedures, see here.

Note: If you make an appointment within one week from your visa interview day, a pre-addressed envelope will not be delivered to you. You will need to mail or hand-deliver your documents to a guard at the Consulate entrance during the Consulate’s normal business hours (Monday through Friday between 8:45 and 17:30, except U.S. and Japanese holidays). The documents must arrive by noon the business day before interview.

English translations must be attached to all documents which are in a foreign language.

Mailing address:

U.S. Consulate General Sapporo
Attn: Visa Service
Kita 1-jo Nishi 28-chome
Chuo-ku, Sapporo 064-0821

U.S. Consulate General Fukuoka
Attn: Consular Section
5-26, Ohori 2-chome
Chuo-ku, Fukuoka 810-0052

Checklist (Mail to the Consulate):

DS-160 Confirmation Page: complete the form online, and PRINT the confirmation page.

  • You cannot reuse the DS-160 from a previous application
  • If you apply with your family, make sure to complete a separate online application form DS-160 for each family member.

Copy of passport (Pages of your photo and personal information only)
One color photograph 2″x 2″ (5cm x 5cm) taken within 6 months against white background. * Note: Applicants are not permitted to wear eyeglasses in photos. Examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos:
Interview appointment confirmation letter

Non-Japanese applicants:

For residents in Japan, proof of residence status in Japan: Photocopy (both sides) of the Japanese Resident Card (“Zairyu” card) or Special Permanent Resident Certificate (“Tokubetsu Eijusha Shoumeisho”) if applicable.

Dependent Applicants:

Proof of relationship: to the principle visa applicant (family registry, marriage certificate or birth certificate with English translation)
A copy of principle applicant’s current valid visa if the principal applicant’s visa has been already issued

If you have been previously arrested:

Official court records with English translation

Supporting Documents for Each Visa Class:

Business Visa (B1):

Proof of employment or enrollment in school (if applicable)
Non-Japanese applicants going to the U.S. to participate in a science or technology-related conference must bring a complete CV or resume (PDF 280KB), a complete list of publications (if applicable) and a letter of acceptance/invitation from the conference organizer.

* Domestic Employee Visa Applicant must submit additional supporting documents, please see this online page for a complete list.

Transit Visa (C):

Detailed Travel Plan: Route and approximate dates.
Visa: Valid visa for destination country, if required.

Crew Visa for Airline Employee/Seaman (C1/D) or (D):

Airline Employee:

Letter from employer confirming employment and requesting a crew visa


Letter from employer confirming employment and requesting a crew visa or valid contract from the ship owner

Treaty Traders(E-1) and Treaty Investors Visa (E-2):

A company letter describing the enterprise, the applicant’s qualifications and number of family members intending to travel. This letter must address all requirements for E visa eligibility as defined by the Foreign Affairs Manual 9 FAM 402.9 and U.S. law. Specifically, the letter must address how the applicant will demonstrate that he/she meets all requirements under 9 FAM 402.9.
Corporate organizational chart of your U.S. company showing how your position (highlighted) fits into the organization.
Updated form DS-156E Part I, Part II and Part III with non-consolidated financial statements or tax return (Form 1120) (Type “156” in the Keyword field to search the form DS-156E .)

Note: All fields on the DS-156E form must be completed. If the form is incomplete, you will be required to submit a new form which will cause delays in processing.

Please pay particular attention to the following points:
1) #1: The name of U.S. company must be filled out.
2) #26: Must be signed and dated by a responsible officer of the company.
3) 3) If you are submitting an appended table, please make sure to write as “see attached” on DS-156E form.

For companies that submit applications for multiple employees per year, please only include financial statements or tax returns with one application per year. Ideally, the financial statements would be submitted with the first applicant after the financial statements are announced or tax returns are filed.

All companies seeking E visas for their owners or employees must be registered with the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo or the U.S. Consulate in Osaka. Click here for E1 visas or click here for E2 visas if your company is not registered.

Student Visa (F/M) or Exchange Visitor Visa (J):

Original Form I-20 or DS-2019: Applicants must sign and date the form.
DS-7002: J1 applicants under “trainee” or “intern” categories will be required to submit a fully completed and signed Form DS-7002 from the program sponsor
SEVIS fee receipt: Please note SEVIS fee is a separate fee from the visa application fee. You must pay the SEVIS fee prior to the interview and submit a receipt. For details, please see this online page.
Financial documents such as a bank book, a bank statement, a letter from sponsor
Science and Technology-related Programs or Study: Non-Japanese applicants going to the U.S. to follow a science or technology-related course of study must bring a complete CV or resume, a complete list of publications (if applicable) and a letter of acceptance/invitation to the school or program.
OPT applicants must also include: Original Employment Authorization card together with your endorsed I-20 form.

Media Visa (I):

Employment letter: Stating employment status, whether the position is permanent or temporary, purpose of travel and length of stay. The applicant must also bring proof of membership in a professional journalistic organization (such as a press card). Freelance media workers must also submit a valid contract of employment.

Temporary Worker Visa (H/L), Athletes and Artists Visa (O/P), International Cultural Exchange (Q) or Religious Worker Visa (R):

The receipt number printed on either your approved I-129 petition or your I-797 Petition Approval Notice. Paper copies of the I-129 or I-797 are not required for the interview.
Proof of Employment: Letter of job offer/contract and most recent pay statement from US Company.

Blanket L-1:

  • Three (3) copies of form I-129S filled out with your position.
    You may download the form from the USCIS website. (Edition Date: 11/08/19. Previous editions are not accepted. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the form.)

  • Three (3) complete copies of your employer’s blanket L I-797 Petition Approval Notice, including the full list of subsidiaries and affiliated companies in the U.S. (if applicable); * Note: Please provide three sets of the I129S form and I-797 approval notice attached together. Place the I-129S form on top of the I-797 approval notice.

  • One (1) copy of the recommendation letter from your employer

NOTE: Applicants should not submit other documents such as company’s annual report, financial statement, pamphlet/brochure unless a Consular officer requests them during the adjudication.

Blanket L-1 applicants must pay an additional $500 fraud prevention and detection fee as well as the $4,500 Consolidated Appropriations Act fee if certain conditions apply. The fee(s) can be paid in cash (either yen or dollars but yen is preferred), or with a credit card).
We recommend you bring cash in case the credit card verification system is unavailable.

Bring to Your Interview:

All applicants are required to bring the following documents to the visa interview at the Consulate-General.

Your valid and expired passports issued in the past 10 years

Non-Japanese applicants:

Photocopy both sides of your Japanese Alien Registration or “Zairyu” Card