Location: Central and Southern Japan
Event: Heavy rain continues in prefectures throughout central and southern Japan. Expect sustained rainfall, flooding, and possible landslides, often occurring without warning. U.S. citizens should carefully monitor their local conditions, as well as the Japan Meteorological Agency’s (JMA) updated landslide risks and weather warnings.
The JMA has issued level five emergency warnings for areas of Gifu and Nagano prefectures, citing a strong risk of landslide. U.S. citizens are strongly advised to follow local officials’ guidance regarding evacuation or shelter in place requests.
Actions to Take:
- Follow instructions from local authorities.
- Monitor trusted local media and the JMA for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use extreme caution near any waterway.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- Visit the Department of State’s Japan Country Information page.
- U.S. Embassy Tokyo
Telephone: 03-3224-5000, After-Hours: 03-3224-5000
- U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe
- U.S. Consulate Nagoya
- U.S. Consulate Fukuoka
- U.S. Consulate General Sapporo
- U.S. Consulate General Naha
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747